When you have a child, making sure that they stay healthy and get all the necessary nutrients they need is at the forefront of your concerns. While your child will receive most of the vitamins and nutrients they need from the foods they eat, your child might not be so simple. If your child is a picky eater, has a medical condition, or isn’t always eating balanced meals, then it’s wise to add in a vitamin or supplement. When seeking out the best multivitamin for children, here’s what you’ll want to see included:
- Calcium helps support the growth of your child’s bones.
- Vitamin D is also important for bone health, but a lot of the vitamin D you receive is from the sun. If you’re putting sunscreen on your baby or small child, you might be blocking the necessary absorption of the vitamin. Adding a D supplement into your child’s diet ensures that they’re getting the right amount of units every day.
- Iron builds your child’s muscles and prevents the development of anemia. Iron supplements are especially important for infants who are breastfeeding, as breastmilk eventually loses iron content.
- Vitamin A supports the growth and development of your child’s bones, tissues, and immune system. It also supports healthy skin and vision.
- B Vitamins help to develop and keep strong your child’s circulatory and nervous systems and also aids metabolism. It also helps with energy production. Since there are several different types of B vitamins that work together, the best multivitamin for children will likely include several different B vitamins. You can also give your child a second B-complex supplement.
Of course, always consult with your doctor first before you start your child on vitamins and supplements. Your doctor can advise you on which are best and which ones your child needs to stay healthy.